November 03, 2005

When the kids are grown up ... the parents will play

Following on from Ed & Clr’s post concerning their new addition, and the mentioning of the Clr’s parents overnight playground I’ve been thinking of my parents current choice. For as I type they will be sunning themselves (assuming the time difference is OK) near a posh beach hut on the Dutch Antilles, en route home from Peru. FYI their preferred accommodation in Vegas was Treasure Island. Well they're flying KLM and the plane stops there, so why not get a taste of the Caribbean?

No doubt come Christmas we’ll have the picture show, they now both have digital cameras so we can rig up Dr T projector’s on the living room wall (after removal of the Mon Seul Desir tapestry done by mum). I’ll get jealous once more as they’ve beaten me to a dream destination (one day I will walk the Inca Trail and see Macchu Piccau; they used the train as dad loves unique trains particularly of the steam variety). I hope they’ve had a good time, I know they were looking forward to lots of new and exciting things; first far flung package tour (its usually Barford World tours, grown up from Barford Econotours (which Becca (B) & I have taken over) from when we were kids, so for once they haven’t done it independently but with CTS), it’s the first time in South America, the first big trip since dad sold the business (so no fretting and worrying from him). I bet he was like a small kid again when they were heading off (as he was for his birthday brunch!). He's got a lease of new life since selling the business, probably because he knows he can retire soon with ease (just waiting for mum to so he doesn't have to cook!).

With any luck my mum found the Girl Guides of Peru and we (B & I) have a badge type pressie. She rather enjoys this form of international guiding and finally has her own blanket, which we made for her after bringing back them for us but not having somewhere to put them herself. Best experience so far was Fiji back in ’98 (I think, before the coup) on the way back from NZ and first posh beach hut experience. The HQ is a large shed type building and the shop a cupboard. They were amazed that she’d found them and had a good chat over the purchase of some badges.

So post County morning & AGM, I’ll be phoning them for the update and to book Dr T & I in for Christmas as we spent it with his mum last year, although we had a change of location for New Year and stayed with Mum & Dad and did some North Downs walking (those chalk cliffs have lots of up and downs..). Lake District beckons once more for New Year and winter walking. Having spent a summer camp there and a new year trip … I prefer the new year when its less busy even if you can’t do big walks due to the lack of daylight. No doubt a short ascent of Keswick High Street will occur although gear shopping is on hold until July when I’m in Canada (where it’s half the price).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home