From the mouths of little people ...
Recently as part of a self esteem/ knowing yourself challenge we’re doing with the Brownies we wrote up a set of pack guidelines which they all signed up to (in a similar style to Guide unit versions). Top of the guidelines is “treat others as you would wish to be treated” as it was agreed to be a very good one by the Brownies. The Brownies are using this as a measure on how to treat others; from the eldest to the youngest they can understand the concept.
Unfortunately it seems not all adults can understand this concept which is a shame, for I checked my e-mails from over the weekend to find I’d received a particularly ranty / accusational e-mail. I found it particularly offensive, not helped by the fact it was going on about others, but only sent to me. It totally goes against the guideline stated above; I wonder if the sender would like to receive such an e-mail themselves but thought it fine to send me it. I will sit down tonight (after having checked out some paperwork) and try to reply to the e-mail in a diplomatic and polite manner even if the sender could not bring themselves to have the same courtesy towards me. It’s a shame how others can treat people who volunteer for things, personally I’ve always had the attitude that you shouldn’t complain about things you aren’t prepared to do yourself when it comes to volunteers, it seems to have worked well over the years so I’m sticking to it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home