April 26, 2005

Am I getting as bad as paj for my desire to receive good customer service? Maybe its because customer satisfaction is regularly reminded of us at work? A prime example was today on the bus in…

My purse this morning contained about 15p in shrapnel and a couple of notes and I wished to purchase a £1.20 single ticket to my workplace, boarding a ¾ full single decker bus.
Caz :“Can I have a single to Commercial Road please”
Starts to profer a £5 note
Driver (Stare as if I’ve done something wrong, I’ve had the note stare from this driver before but last time did manage to pay for the ticket in shrapnel): “oooh” (repair man like) {I feel that if the bus hadn’t of pulled away he’d of made me use that one, rather than take a £5 note!}
Bus infront pulls away, 2 more people behind get on to buy tickets
Driver gets out the 80p shrapnel then leans down and make a whole effort about getting 3 £1 coins out the pouch below.
How hard is it to get £3.80 out of a driver with a pretty full bus?.. darn hard as it requires more effort than a 5p or 10p change.

This made me think given the choice of our new Polish Drivers (who do know what good customer service is) and the existing British Drivers (who passengers are an inconvenience to many). I know which I’d want to keep, the Poles don’t give you this hassle for producing a £5 note, from the journeys I been on with them that notes aren’t an issue other than you get change in £1 coins! (which they often apologise for!)

Bit later on another passenger tried to pay with a note … same reaction, but unlike me who was going for ‘I’ll stand here until you give me my change’; his option was ‘there’s a seat here I’ll stay there until you have the change', surprise, surprise, who then could find the £1 coins?

But the question is… Is this just a Portsmouth Driver trait or is it the same over the UK’s bus services? Your comments please.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

Buses never gave change when I were a lass. You had to chuck the money into a glass-fronted slot, and if you had too much - tough! :-)

April 26, 2005 2:29 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

Bus drivers in Leeds always seemed to have an attitude problem.

April 27, 2005 1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home