May 16, 2005

Should I be worried when my mum is more skilled in the latest craze than I am?

My mum's brownies were doing scoubidou (the latest crafty craze hitting the school age types) last week and loved it. I was thinking knotting, therefore a no go area with Brownies after previous experiences with sewing etc., however one of my usually less than interested yellow blobs came in and used the brownie scissors at the beginning of the meeting to finish her latest one off .. hmm I thought maybe a evening's activity?

The worrying thing was how my mum Codename: Panda said she did this when she went on her first school french exchange (apparently the home to this stuff) in 1960! So once she done the first bit it all came flooding back ... she was the most skilled of the Guiders in the unit (the YL was running the night, the brownies who were good helping the strugglers). It would seem the Brownies were amazed at how good Panda was at this craft! They also thought 1960 was a long time ago and the YL though my mum was 10 years younger than she is until she made the 1960 comment!!! Brownies can make you 10 years younger ... no need for comestic stuff a la the Channel 4 programme! That said my mother does act somewhat more youthfully (without being muttony) than some of her contemporaries I have to Guide with.

Hmm so my mum hasn't embarrassed me, just shamed me; so over the weekend I've learnt to do the basic knot .... I don't feel so bad that my mum is up with the latest craze!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mad said...

I'd read a lot about scoubidous on guk, but had no idea what they were until one of my Guides appeared with one on Friday night. Her mother offered two bags full of scoubidous if we wanted them for camp - of course I said yes! It should keep them quiet for hours! Had better learn how to do it now! :-)

May 16, 2005 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I made a nice woggle :)

May 16, 2005 7:42 PM  
Blogger James said...

Brownies don't make me look ten years younger. Oh no! They make me fat...

May 16, 2005 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh not just some strange thing from the Fenlands. My cubs all five of them keep bringing them, although they think catholic is a swear word so a little strange. They took to whipping each other with them.

May 16, 2005 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home